Thursday 11 June 2009

My Final Design Project - Images

Earlier this month I finished my Final year and put an end to quite a few weeks of sleep deprived long hours working. When your at it you hate it, but looking back I am happy at the amount of work I put in.

My final project was about designing a museum to house the Lindisfarne Gospels. It was a very theoratical and conceptual project where a lot of history and Christianity related to the project had to be studied in relation to the design decisions that had to be made and that had to be contextually derived.

My scheme had one wing that was a museum for the Gospels and another wing which was retreat for monks who were to live according to strict Benedictine principals.

We were given the option of building anywhere we wanted in Holy Island, Lindisfarne. Choosing a site too was tricky, but eventually I decided to build abutting an existing lime kiln, thereby juxtaposing the old with the new.

The Design is very much contextually derived and is not a museum that is designed to match the sophistication of a modern city based museum. This is more of a very spiritual scheme where simplicity has been held in high esteem, and the ambience is best made when an austere interior has been created.

The following are some images which I rendered to communcate my scheme - would appreciate comments and constructive criticism.

The images below can be clicked for a larger view.



Site before Design.



Exterior Perspective of the Building in Context.


Refectory Space where the monks eat and congregate.


Main exhibitions space.

0 comments:

Post a Comment